The whole process of finding suitable roofers can be rather intimidating. Especially considering the stigma roofers carry. To help make this all a bit less daunting, here are 5 steps to help you rest easy after making an educated decision on who carries out your project. After all, you are spending a considerable amount of your hard earned money and it’s vital that you’re sure you’re receiving good value in return.
- Get multiple quotes and opinions. You eliminate the chance of being charged unfairly or paying for an insufficient job. A good quote is very specific and transparent. The terms and conditions should always be included with the quote and there should be a break down of cost.
- Check each tradesman’s reviews on multiple platforms. ALWAYS Check reviews when choosing the right roofer. Google and Builderscrack reviews are generally reliable opposed to social media platforms. Directors are too often having their friends and family review their business pages on social media.
- Find out if the company employs Licensed Building Practitioners (LBPs). Obtaining this license means that the roofer has an acceptable understanding of The Building Code 2004 and The MRM Code of Practice – Vital knowledge required to install new roofs to an acceptable standard. Note: This is not necessary for repairs and resurfacing. However, it is essential when choosing the right roofer for new buildings and recommended for roof replacements.
- Never make a decision based solely on price. Quality roofing material, sufficient insurance, industry training and high demand all drive up the price of quality tradesman. Cheap quotes generally mean cheap work in any industry.
- Never pay the full amount up front. It is a standard request for Auckland roofers to ask for a 50% deposit up front to cover immediate costs like scaffolding and roofing material. Never pay anything more than that. With Scottaleak, we only ask for the materials to be paid for once it arrives on site to build trust with new clients.
If you need further advice on choosing the right roofer, feel free to contact the team at Scottaleak directly. We’re always happy to help.